The Wyatt Goldthwaite Veterinary Blood Bank at RBVH
There are many reasons why a pet may need a blood transfusion. Patients of Red Bank Veterinary Hospital are fortunate to have access to the Wyatt Goldthwaite Veterinary Blood Bank.
Blood Saves Lives in Pets
Blood products are necessary for supplying oxygen and fluids to the body’s organs. Transfusions help in a variety of medical situations such as surgery, trauma, and treating various blood disorders.
Like humans, dogs and cats have blood types. The process of determining blood type, called cross-matching, can be done in minutes to ensure the safest transfusion.
Our blood bank carries a supply of both canine and feline blood products. We have a number of volunteer donors that help save pet lives by donating to our blood bank. Their donations ensure that there are blood products available for patients experiencing a health crisis.
The Wyatt Goldthwaite Veterinary Blood Bank
The Wyatt Goldthwaite Veterinary Blood Bank began in 2007, thanks to a generous donation by the Goldthwaite family in memory of their beloved dog, Wyatt. While being treated by the RBVH Oncology Department, Wyatt was the recipient of several blood transfusions.
It was the family's hope that a dedicated blood bank would enable RBVH to continue providing advanced care and blood products to critically ill patients.
Our Blood Bank Mission
- To provide a reliable humane source of veterinary blood products for canines and felines;
- To provide education to hospital staff and clients about blood product donation and usage; and
- To ensure blood products are used properly to best benefit the patients of the RBVH Healthcare Network.
Join the Pet Superhero Team
Are you interested in having your pet become part of our volunteer donor team?
The RBVH blood donor program is currently open to our canine and feline patients of sound health and gentle nature. Donors should be:
- Between 1–7 years of age at the start of the program
- A minimum of 50 pounds for dogs; 10 pounds for cats
- Spayed or neutered
- Current on vaccinations
- Taking heartworm preventive (dogs only)
- Using flea and tick preventive (dogs only)
- Housed indoors (cats only)
- Free of any other long-term medication
An initial exam with extensive blood screening is performed on each candidate. This bloodwork screening is complimentary for our superhero candidates.
Become a pet lifesaver…
Once accepted into the program, donations are performed by appointment only, at your convenience! On donation day, a drop-off service is available, but you are more than welcome to wait for your pet. The donation appointment is typically completed in less than one hour. This appointment includes an exam each time prior to donation and a closely-monitored recovery. The actual donation, which takes about 10 minutes, is followed by a reward – your pet is spoiled with large doses of TLC! Canine donations are typically performed without sedation, but cats require a mild, safe sedative for the procedure.
Only a small percentage of your pet’s blood is drawn during the collection process and the body begins to replace that amount immediately. We will shave a small square of hair from under the neck to collect the blood as part of the sterile blood collection technique.
Pet Superhero Rewards
We are so grateful for all the pets that help to save other pet lives. To help thank them, your pet will receive:
- Complimentary blood transfusion, should your pet ever need one
- Complimentary bag of prescription pet food
- Complimentary physical exam
- Complimentary comprehensive lab testing annually
- $50 Credit on your RBVH account
Please note: These tests and exam do not replace regular wellness care. We expect you to stay current with your pet's veterinary visits and recommended vaccines.